|Born||7 February 1898|
|Died||27 May 1935 (aged 37)|
Rajgruha house, Bombay, Maharashtra, British India
|Other names||Ramai (Mother Rama), Ramu|
|Spouse(s)||B. R. Ambedkar|
|Children||Yashwant Ambedkar, 4 others|
Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar (7 February 1898 - 27 May 1935; also known as Ramai or Mother Rama) was the first wife of B. R. Ambedkar, who said her support was instrumental in helping him pursue his higher education and his true potential. She has been the subject of a number of biographical movies and books. A number of landmarks across India have been named after her.
Attack on BR Ambedkar's House in Mumbai: One Arrested, Search on for Another Accused. Umesh Sitaram Jadhav (35), the arrested man, was allegedly one of the two persons caught in CCTV camera at the spot, the police official said. July 9, 2020, 21:48 IST explore: India. Tagged as Ambedkar movie in English, Ambedkar movie in Hindi, B R Ambedkar, Babasaheb, Bahujan Samaj Party, Bahujans, BSP, Buddha, Caste, Caste Discrimination, Caste system in India, casteism, Dr Ambedkar Books, Dr B R Ambedkar Photos, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Movie Tamil, Tamil Movie. With Shoaib Kabeer, Aayudh Bhanushali, Prasad Jawde, Neha Joshi. Ek Mahanayak is the story of Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar, the founding father of the Constitution of India.
Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (bʱiːmraːw raːmdʑiː aːmbeːɽkər) (14 April 1891 – 6 December 1956), also known as Babasaheb Ambedkar, was an Indian scholar, jurist, economist, politician and social reformer, who inspired the Dalit Buddhist movement and campaigned against social discrimination towards the untouchables (Dalits), while also supporting the rights of women and labour.
Ramabai was born in a poor family to Bhiku Dhatre (Valangkar) and Rukmini. She lived with her three sisters and a brother, Shankar, in the Mahapura locality within the village of Vanand near. Her father earned his livelihood by carrying baskets of fish from Dabhol harbour to the market. Her mother died when she was young and, after her father also died, her uncles Valangkar and Govindpurkar took the children to Bombay to live with them in Byculla market.[unreliable source?]
Ramabai married Ambedkar in 1906 in a very simple ceremony in the vegetable market of Byculla, Mumbai. At the time, Ambedkar was aged 15 and Ramabai was nine. His affectionate name for her was 'Rāmu', while she called him 'Saheb'. Clash of magic private server. They had five children – Yashwant, Gangadhar, Ramesh, Indu (daughter) and Rajratna. Apart from Yashwant (1912–1977), the other four died in their childhood.
Ramabai died on 27 May 1935 at Rajgruha in Hindu Colony, Dadar, Bombay, after a prolonged illness. She had been married to Ambedkar for 29 years.
Credit by her husband
B. R. Ambedkar's book Thoughts on Pakistan, published in 1941, was dedicated to Ramabai. In the preface, Ambedkar credits her with his transformation from an ordinary Bhiva or Bhima to Dr Ambedkar.
Influence and in popular legacy
Ramabai's life has been featured in the following:
Dr Ambedkar History In Tamil
Movies, televisions and drama
- Ramai, a 1992 drama directed by Ashok Gawali
- Bhim Garjana, a 1990 Marathi film directed by Vijay Pawar, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Prathama Devi.
- Yugpurush Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, a 1993 Marathi film directed by Shashikant Nalavade, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Chitra Koppikar.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, a 2000 English film directed by Jabbar Patel, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Sonali Kulkarni.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, a 2005 Kannada film directed by Sharan Kumar Kabbur, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Tara Anuradha.
- Ramabai Bhimrao Ambedkar, a 2011 Marathi film directed by Prakash Jadhav, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Nisha Parulekar.
- Ramabai, a 2016 Kannada film directed by M. Ranganath, the role of Ramabai Ambedkar was played by Yagna Shetty.
- Dr. Ambedkar, a Hindi television series aired on DD National.
- Garja Maharashtra (2018–19), a Marathi television series aired on Sony Marathi.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar: Mahamanvachi Gauravgatha (2019), a Marathi television series airing on Star Pravah starring Shivani Rangole as Ramabai Ambedkar while Mrunmayi Supal portrayed the young version of the character.
- Ramai, by Yashwant Manohar
- Tyagawanti Rama Mauli, by Nana Dhakulkar, Vijay Publications (Nagpur)
- Priya Ramu, by Yogiraj Bagul, Granthali Publication
- ^Khajane, Muralidhara (2016-04-15). 'The life and times of Ramabai Ambedkar'. The Hindu. ISSN0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- ^ ab''Ramai' portrays poignant and tragic life of Ramabai Ambedkar - Times of India'. The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- ^ abcManohar, Yashwant. Ramabai. India: Pratima Publications. p. 51. ISBN9788192647111.
- ^ ab'महापुरुषाची सावली'. Loksatta (in Marathi). 3 December 2017. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- ^Jogi, Dr. Sunil (2007). Dalit Samajache Pitamah Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar (in Marathi). Diamond Books. p. 50.
- ^Gaikwad, Dr. Dnyanraj Kashinath (2016). Mahamanav Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (in Marathi). Riya Publication. p. 186.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramabai Ambedkar.|