Uss Hamul Crew List

United States Navy tender is a general term for a type of U.S. Navy ship used to support other ships, often of a non-specific or uncommon non-designated type or purpose. The second USS Tangier (AV-8) was a Maritime Commission type C-3 cargo ship, converted to a seaplane tender in the United States Navy during World War II.The ship, the first of the C-3s to be launched and significant in a revival of Pacific coast shipbuilding, was launched 15 September 1939 and delivered to the Maritime Commission as Sea Arrow.The ship was acquired by the U.S.

Title: USS HAMUL (AD-20) Caption: At anchor in Great Sound, Bermuda, on 15 July 1944, while serving as flagship of the DD-DE shakedown group. Coast Guard Patrol Boat CG-83474 is alongside. Description: Collection of Captain D.L. Catalog #: NH 86270. Destroyer tenders have served the US Navy from 1898 (the USS Dixie AD-1) until 1996, when the last active ship was decommissioned. These ships provided support to destroyers and other surface ships. Destroyer tenders are generally named for geographic area.Altair ClassCascade ClassDixie ClassDobbin ClassHamul ClassKlondike ClassMelville ClassSamuel Gompers ClassShenandoah ClassYellowstone.

OUTPOST IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC: Marines in the Defense of Iceland
by Colonel James A. Donovan, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret)

While the Marines cruised south to Panama, the warsituation in Europe prompted President Roosevelt to reconsider his planfor seizing and occupying Martinique or the Azores and turn hisattention to the more immediate threat to Iceland and the relief ofBritish forces there. Washington planners decided to form a provisionalMarine brigade at Charleston, South Carolina, with the west coastMarines as its nucleus, augmented by the 5th Defense Battalion fromParris Island, South Carolina.

The battalion had been organized at Parris Island on1 December 1940, with a cadre of officers and men from the 4th DefenseBattalion. Colonel Lloyd L. Leech was the initial commanding officer.When ordered to Charleston in June 1941, the 5th Battalion was onlypartially trained and under-equipped, so emergency requisitions went toU.S. Army antiaircraft artillery commands nationwide to provide theMarine battalion some new weapons and equipment, which were hastilydelivered at dockside. Battalion personnel were embarked in theOrizaba (AP-24); guns and cargo were loaded on the USSArcturus (AK-18) and the USS Hamul (AK-30), two new cargoships.

Uniforms and Equipment

As the Marine Corps expanded with the mobilization ofthe Reserves, the Marines' dress blue uniforms were relegated toclosets. Newly joined Reservists were not required to have dressuniforms, although many did.

Winter service 'greens' were the formal dress as wellas the cold weather field uniform, as worn in World War I. This uniformincluded the peaked barracks cap and the still-popular garrison (or'overseas' cap). The blouse was worn with khaki cotton shirt andmatching 'field scarf' tie. A brass 'battle pin' held the pointed shirtcollars in place. Most enlisted Marines washed, starched, and ironedtheir own khaki clothing.

Trousers were in the same green wool kersey materialas the blouse and for officers a fine quality 20-ounce elastiquematerial was standard. Officers also wore tailored riding breeches withleather puttees or riding boots, and they had fine cordovan leather SamBrowne belts with brass buckles. The enlisted men wore an almost blackcow-skin belt called a 'fair leather belt' with heavy buckle. Enlistedmen's trousers had no rear pockets.

Enlisted Marines were issued high-top laced shoes.They took a fine spit-shine, but their soles were too thin for fieldservice, so many marines had them double-soled. Each Marine had twopair, one for field use and one for dress wear.

The regulation overcoat was heavy green wool, similarto the issue uniform, double-breasted and fitted. The officer's overcoatwas custom tailored, fitted, and usually in a heavy beaver or elastiquematerial. All uniform buttons were dark bronze. Other than for duty inNorth China, these winter service uniforms generally had been replacedfor field service by cotton khaki shirts and trousers of a kind whichhad been worn for some 40 years on Caribbean and 'banana war' duties inCentral America. For field training and combat duty, enlisted men addedthe high, tan canvas, laced leggings as worn in World War I, and longbefore, in the China and the Philippines campaigns at the turn of thecentury.

The most popular, typical and colorful item, however,was the olive drab, felt field or 'campaign' hat with wide brim andpeaked top. It was the pride of all real 'salty' Marines of the period.Its ancestry went back to the frontier U.S. cavalry in the late 19thcentury. Marines in the Fleet Marine Force battalions wore this hat witha special jaunty flair, and the Corps' emblem on the front was oftengreenish from the salt water sprayed on it during landing exercises.None of this uniform clothing was designed for or especially suitablefor a wet-cold climate such as that of Iceland.

Another item of clothing worn during this period wasthe one-piece, dark blue denim coverall. To save the more expensivewinter service greens and summer service khakis, the coveralls were wornon working parties, for range firing details, by prisoners, and fordirty field training. These coveralls were the ancestors of the wartimedusty-green color, cotton herringbone twill 'utilities' which became thePacific Marine's combat uniform. The Marines who went to Iceland hadboth the blue coveralls and the new one-piece, green herringbonecoveralls for dirty or 'fatigue' duty.

The Marines were deployed to Iceland because theywere all volunteers, and unlike the draftee-encumbered Army, could beordered overseas. moreover, the 6th Marines was already at sea preparedfor expeditionary duty. On 5 June, Roosevelt directed the Chief of NavalOperations (CNO), Admiral Harold R. Stark, to have a Marine brigadeready to sail in 15 day's time.

The brigade was formed on 16 June, the day followingthe arrival of the 6th Marines (Reinforced) in Charleston. The 1stMarine Brigade (Provisional) was formally organized under BrigadierGeneral John Marston. His new command consisted of: Brigade HeadquartersPlatoon; Brigade Band; 6th Marines (Reinforced); 2d Battalion, 10thMarines; 5th Defense Battalion (less its 5-inch Artillery Group, whichremianed in the States); Company A, 2d Tank Battalion (less 3d Platoon);Company A, 2d Medical Battalion; Company C, 1st Engineer Battalion; 1stPlatoon, Company A, 2d Service Battalion; 3d Platoon, 1st Scout Company;and Chemical Platoon. The parachute platoon was detached and reassignedto the 1st Marine Division, which happened also to be in Charleston whenthe 6th Marines arrived.

General Marston arrived in Charleston on 18 June witha small brigade headquarters staff. Admiral Stark's mission statementfor the brigade was simple and direct: In cooperation with the Britishgarrison, defend Iceland against hostile attack.


Homesteads outside Reykjavik tended to beisolated.Author's Collection

Iceland is slightly smaller than the state ofKentucky, and features mountains, glaciers, volcanoes, geysers, hotsprings, and lava beds. The southern coastal areas enjoy a temperateclimate because the Gulf Stream passes close enough to modify the normalweather of the Arctic Circle which touches the northern coast. In 1941the island had limited coastal roads, crossed by many rapidly flowingglacial streams. Coastal areas had grassy fields suitable for sheep andpony pasturage and tundra terrain completely devoid of bushes or trees.The population in 1941 numbered 120,000.

Fishing in the cold waters around Iceland was thenation's major industry. Along the 2,300 miles of jagged coastline,there were a number of small fishing villages reached only by sea, asthere was no raod network around the island beyond the area ofReykjavik, the capital and main city.

Mountainous landscape, glacier formations, and overallrugged and inhospitable terrain as below provided the background to theMarine camps set up in Iceland. Pictured here is a Nissen hut built byMarines after their arrival.LtCol Harold K. Throneson Collection

At the outbreak of the war, Iceland enjoyed thestatus of autonomous parliamentary monarchy, sharing the Danish royalfamily with Denmark. When the Nazis overran Denmark in April 1940, theIcelandic Parliament voted to take over the executive power of theDanish King and to assume control of foreign affairs. The strategicisland became an independent republic, but was wholly defenseless. Thisstate of affiars gave rise to considerable concern by leaders in Londonand Washington, a concern not shared to any degree by the insular-mindedIcelanders.

The majority of Icelandic citizens accepted theAmerican occupation as a necessary evil. They didin't care much for theBritish, but were well aware of the German threat. There was apro-German element among the populace because, before the war, Germanengineers had built Iceland's roads and had piped in hot water from thegeysers to heat greenhouses inthe city. As a result, there were someanti-foreign feelings, especially among youth groups.

Many of the Icelanders spoke English. They were awell-educated and literate people with a pure and ancient Vikinglanguage and the world's oldest representative government.

The new brigade, consisting of 4,095 Marines,departed Charleston on 22 June. The men were not unhappy to leave thehot, humid, and noisy Navy yard. Most of the brigade's Marines were keptbusy loading ships with additional supplies and equipment procured inCharleston by supply officers, and such incongruous items as skis, skipoles, and winter 'protective clothing' purchased by supply officers ata local Sears Roebuck store.

Junein the stormy North AtlanticContemporary sketch by the author

Added to the convoy at Charleston were two cargoships and two destroyers. It was met outside Charleston harbor by animpressive force of warships and escorts. When the entire convoy beganits move towards the North Atlantic, it consisted of 25 vessels,including two battleships, the USS New York (BB-34) and USSArkansas (BB-33), and two cruisers, USS Nashville (CL-43)and the USS Brooklyn (CL-40). While the convoy was underway, aMarine wrote a letter home on 27 June:

The clanging din and weird welder's lights were leftto their own confusion as we pulled out of the Yard, headed down river,past the little Fort Sumter, which seemed even smaller in the gray lightof 0600 Sunday morning. We headed for the open sea and took a northerncourse.

Then began the hours which at sea stretch into daysand repeat themselves so that one soon loses all track of date and time.. We began to lose track of where we were or where we were headed.There are daily troop formations, weapons inspection, general quartersdrills, fire drills, abandon ships drills, and life vest inspection.Feeding the troops takes up much time, officers eat by shifts in thewardroom. Food is good and plentiful ..

The ships did not yet have surface radar, and soMarines were added to the continuous submarine watches from deckstations. Frequent appearance of U.S. Navy PBY aircraft flyingantisubmarine warfare (ASW) patrols reassured the convoy and its Marinepassengers. The Marine's letter continued:

This morning we are wallowing along at a couple ofknots speed having been in a heavy fog for about eight hours. The shipskeep blowing their fog horns to help maintain location and positions. Ipresume we are getting well spread as we approach the southern tip ofNewfoundland. It will be interesting to see our formation when the foglifts.

The convoy moved into Placentia Bay, Newfoundland, onthe night of 27 June, leaving the fog outside. Some officers and menwere allowed to go ashore at the small village of Argentia to stretchtheir legs and see the local scenery. Despite the windy, cold, wetweather, the battalions were able to get ashore at least one day forexercise and limited hikes, which helped to reduce the ill effects oftoo many hours of confinement and bunk duty on board the transports.During foul weather the only spaces troops had were below decks in theircompartments and on their bunks.

Major General John Marston

Major General John Marston, who died in November1957, was born on 3 August 1884 in Pennsylvania, and was commissioned aMarine second lieutenant in June 1908. After five months' training atthe School of Application at Annapolis, he began a period of barracksand sea-going duty. This culminated in assignment to the 1st AdvanceBase Regiment, which landed at and occupied Veracruz, Mexico, in January1914. In 1915, then-First Lieutenant Marston was assigned to he HaitianConstabulary and operations against the bandit Cacos in Northern Haiti.After three years in Haiti, he served at the Naval Academy and atQuantico, until another overseas assignment, this time to the AmericanLegation in Managua, Nicaragua, where he remained from 1922 to 1924.Following a number of assignments in the Quantico-Washington area,including a brief tour again in Nicaragua as a member of the U.S.Electoral Mission, in 1935 Colonel Marston was transferred to meAmerican Embassy, Peiping. There he commanded the Marine Detachment,1937-1938, and was senior commander of Marine forces in North China,1938-1939. Brigadier General Marston became commander of the 1st MarineBrigade (Provisional) in June 1941 and took it to Iceland. Upon returnto the United States in April 1942, he was promoted to major general andgiven command of the 2d Marine Division, moving with it to New Zealand.He returned to the States in August 1942 and was appointed commander ofthe Department of the Pacific, with headquarters in San Francisco. InApril 1944, he was named Commanding General, Camp Lejeune, and served inthat position until 1946, when he retired to Lexington, Virginia.

The interlude at Newfoundland 'to await furtherorders' continued until 1 July, when the government of Iceland finally,and reluctantly, invited the American occupation that Winston Churchillhad requested and promised.

On the night of 1 July, the transports upped anchorsat 2200 and slowly moved back out to sea headed for Iceland. During thefollowing day, the transports steamed in file behind the Arkansasand New York. Fog drifted over the convoy, fog horns blew everyfew minutes, and all hands anxiously examined the ships' formation whenthe fog cleared. One day at officers' school the maps of Iceland werebroken out and the staffs began to brief the company officers on theisland, its terrain, weather, people, and what the mission would be. On5 July, a more serious note was added when troops were ordered to wearlife jackets at all times, for the convoy was entering the European warzone. Then at 2000 one night the destroyer on the starboard flank pickedup a lifeboat with 14 survivors (four Red Cross women and 10 Norwegiansailors) of a ship torpedoed 200 miles to he south on 24 June. Theirships, the Vigrid, a Norwegian merchant ship, had developedengine trouble, fell behind its convoy, and was picked off by a Germansubmarine.

The next day the convoy went through the flotsam andjetsam of the British battleship HMS Hood, which had been sunk bythe German pocket battleship Bismarck on 24 May. Items ofequipment from the Hood floating alongside their ships broughtthe war to the close attention of sober Marines lining the rails oftheir transports.


Onlyone ship at a time could enter or leave the only entrance to Reykjavikharbor in June 1941. When the brigade convoy approached the port the seawas calm, the sun was well up, and a strong odor of fish floated outover the troop ships.National Archives Photo 127-N-185281

Early in the morning of 7 July, the brigade's convoyapproached Iceland and the capital city of Reykjavik. The sea was glassycalm, the sun was well up and bright as it did not set in July innorthern lands. The strong odor of fish floated out over the troop shipsfrom the port. A couple of the transports were able to tie up at thesmall stone quays and Marines lined the rails to examine the people andsights of their new station.

Earlier, in May 1941, a battalion of Royal Marineshad landed and occupied the capital city, Reykjavik. Ten days later theywere relieved by a Canadian Army brigade.

The Canadians soon left for England and were replacedby British Army and Royal Air Force units. Some of the replacements wereremnants of regiments which had been evacuated from Dunkirk. They weremostly Territorial Army units which are similar to the U.S. NationalGuard. Antiaircraft artillery units, air defense fighters, and patrolbombers also established island defense installations. Hvalfjordur, adeep fjord 35 miles north of Reykjavik, became the site of an importantnaval anchorage.

Based at an airfield at Keflavik, about 30 milessouth of Reykjavik, was a mixed bag of Royal Air Force aircraftincluding a few Hurricane fighters. It also held some patrol bombers:Hudsons, Sunderlands, and a small group of obsolescent float planes.Most of the British pilots at the field were veterans of the Battles ofBritain and were sent to Keflavik for a spell of more relaxed duty. Bythe summer of 1941, the British contingent had about 25,000 troops inIceland, including the Tyneside Scottish, the Durham Light Infantry, andthe Duke of Wellington's Regiment in the 49th Division, as well as someRoyal Artillery field batteries, Royal Army engineers, and otherdetachments. In addition, 500 RAF personnel and about 2,000 sailors, whomanned and serviced the anti-submarine vessels and mine sweepers basedat Hvalfjordur, were on the island.

British soldiers ('Tommies') in their ruggedbattle-dress uniforms, heavy black boots, and garrison-type caps cockedover one ear, waved and yelled at the Marines as the American ships tiedup at the quay. A few British officers also in battle dress but withpeaked caps, swagger sticks, and gleaming leather walked along the quayexamining the ships and their Marine passengers. British officers cameon board to welcome the Marines and in due course departed with some ofthe senior brigade staff to confer about landing plans, camp areas, andmissions. The cargo ships and the 5th defense Battalion had to unload atthe quays, so the troop ships moved out in the harbor, from where theylanded Marine style over a small rocky beach named 'Balbo' using Higginsboats and a few tank lighters.

TheMarines coming ashore from the transports appeared to be a motley crewwearing mixed uniforms and carrying odd personal baggage .. The Britishsoldiers didn't know what to make of the spectacle. But to be safe, theysaluted all Marines who wore the peaked caps and neckties their ownofficers wore.Sketch by the author in the Marine Corps Historical ArtCollection

The Marines coming ashore from the transportsappeared to be a motley crew wearing mixed uniforms and carrying oddpersonal baggage. Some wore service caps and some wore broad-brimmedcampaign hats. Others were in working party blue coveralls, and stillothers in greens. Some Marines toted sea bags. Some had rifle-cleaningrods stuck in rifle barrels and strung with rolls of toilet paper, somecarried their good blouses on coat hangers hooked to their rifles. TheBritish soldiers didn't know what to make of the spectacle. But to besafe, they saluted all Marines who wore peaked caps and neckties becausethat is what their own officers wore.

The5th Defense Battalion unloads supplies from landing craft tied up at thequay.National Archives Photo 127-N-528662

One detail the British neglected to discuss with theMarines was the matter of tides in northern latitudes and neither theU.S. Navy nor the Marine planners seemed to be aware of the 14-foot tidewhich almost washed the landing force back from its small stony landingbeach into the cold Arctic seas.

Marines unloaded the ships by manhandling bulk cargoequipment, and ammunition from holds into cargo nets which were loweredinto the landing craft alongside by the ships' large booms. The boatsthen ran the short distance to shore where Marine working parties againunloaded the cargo by hand and carried it up onto the beach. Because theMarines had few trucks, they were almost completely dependent upon RoyalArmy Service Corps two-ton lorries (trucks) to move supplies andequipment to destinations inland. It all went slowly and with hours thetide began to overtake the unloading. The sea came in and inundated thebeaches and Marine supplies. Soon cardboard containers of rations, woolshirts, equipment, and supplies were awash or drifting out into thestream.

It took a few days to salvage and dry out some of thegear. Regimental supplies and equipment coming into Balbo beach becamemixed and piled up in great confusion. The value of the few tanklighters was apparent and the need for a ramp at the bow of the LCPs wasalso evident. Motorized material-handling equipment, palletized cargo,and weatherproof packing were in the future.

Despite the problems with the tide and the narrowbeach, the unloading proceeded around the clock. In four days theMarines manhandled and moved 1,500 tons of supplies and equipment fromthe three transports over the beach and into lorries and to thebattalions' assigned camps, some as afar away as 15 miles.

Calling all World War II researchers! The following is an alphabetical list of most of Clarksburg Ohio’s World War II veterans and at least one unit they served in between the dates of 1941 and 1945. If anyone has additional information on their service or is interested in learning more about one of the veterans to complete personal research or family geneaology, please leave a comment with the information you are requesting and an active email address and Vic Cleary will contact you.
Clarksburg Ohio’s World War II Veterans (list incomplete)
Acord, Gerald D: Served aboard the USS Quincy (CA-71), and USS Arkansas
Adams, Don: 15th Air Force, 485th Bomb Group, 830th Bomb Squadron
Anderson, Allen A: 36th Training Group, Squadron A
Anderson, Harold: 1st Cavalry, Battery G
Anderson, John Robert: 94th Bomb Group, 331st Bomb Squadron, 23rd Depot Group
Anderson, John: U.S. Navy discharged
Anderson, Ralph W: 8th Air Force, 92nd Bomb Group, 325th Bomb Squadron
Anderson, Robert C: 15th Air Force, 14th Fighter Group, 37th Fighter Squadron
Anderson, W. Arthur Jr.: 7th Infantry Division and 7th Motorized Infantry Division
Ater, Bernard J.: 3535th Army Air Force Base Unit
Ater, Francis E.: 93rd Field Hospital
Ater, Frank A.: 743rd Tank Battalion, D Company & 778th Tank Battalion
Ater, Jack W.: 97th Infantry Division, 387th Infantry Regiment, Company D
Ater, Joseph S.: 324th Army Air Force Base Unit
Ater, Kenneth B.: 2622nd Ordnance Transportation Company
Ater, Ralph E.: USS Ranger (CV-4): Navy Bomb Squadron 42
Ater, Robert Marcus: USS Denver (CL- 58): Cruiser
Baughman, John H.: 42nd Group, 361st Air Svc. Squadron, 896th Air Engineer Squadron
Bethel, Donald E.: MERRILL'S MARUADERS: 475th Inf. Reg., I Company., 5307th Brigade
Bethel, Gerald V.: USS Bache (DD-470): Destroyer
Bethel, Herschel R.: 759th Railway Operating Battalion, A Company
Bethel, Robert C.: 58th Medical Corps. 344th Medical Dispensary
Bethel, Vernon O.: 48th Fighter Grp, 492nd Fighter Sq., 1709th Signal Svc. Batt.
Betts, Howard L.: 7th Army
Bochard, Corrine E.: WAAC Detachment 4201
Bochard, William S.: 6th Army, 10th Corp., 99th Signal Battalion
Boggs, Robert C.: 509th Military Police Battalion, B Company
Bookwalter, George R.: 3rd Service Command, Philadelphia, PA
Bookwalter, Roland: 195th Medical Training, 2nd Battalion, Company E
Bookwalter, Sylvester: 3702nd AAF Base Unit, 344th Bomb Group
Bowdle, Elza: 40th Battalion, Co. B, 59th Med Training Batt., & 80th Hospital (France)
Brooks, John W.: 20th Air Force, 58th Bomb Wing, 87th Air Service Group. HQ and Base Services Squad
Bryant, Howard A. “Tick”: 330th Engineer Regiment: 1580th Service Command Unit
Bryant, Wendell: 479th Amphibious Truck Company
Burke, Charles: 384th Bomb Group
Carroll, Glen E.: 873rd Engineer Aviation Batt., Group Squadron 43, H Company
Carroll, Marvin E.: 1st Armored Division: 6th Armored Inf Batt, I Company, and 14th Armored Infantry
Carroll, Wendell: 3rd Army, 80th Inf. Div., 319th Inf. Reg., HQ Detachment
Casto, Dwight T.: 7th Army, 427th Ordnance Tire Company
Chenault, Charles “Denny”: USS APA Presidio (APA-88) and LCI #34
Chenault, Robert E.: 34th Field Hospital
Cleary, Willis K.: 2nd Infantry Division, 23rd Infantry Regiment, K Company
Cokonougher, Wayne: 3rd Army, 740th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery A
Cottrill, Warren: 8th Air Force, 1059th MP Co.
Crabb, Charles N.: 12th Bomb Group, 81st Bomb Squadron. The Earthquakers!
Dawson, Harold R.: 102nd Air Corps, 607th Signal Corps
Dawson, John M.: 3507th AAF Base Unit, Aircraft Squad III, Flight I
Dawson, Robert E.: 11th Air Force, 54th Fighter Group , 42nd Fighter Squadron
Dawson, Robert K. “Bert”: 3rd Army, 69th Infantry Division
Dawson, William A “Billy”: 3rd Army, 150th Anti Aircraft Artillery Batt., Battery D
Dean, Elwood L.: 82nd Airborne Division: 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, F and HQ Company
Dean, Kenneth M.: 103rd Station Hospital
Dennis, Lewis A.: 10th Armored Division, 150th Armored Signal CompanyUss
DeWitt, Paul: U.S.S. Barrier (AM-150) Minesweeper
Dinkler, Carl W.: 8th Infantry Division, 28th Infantry Regiment, Company A
Dinkler, Herman: 3rd Armored Division, 548th Quartermaster Depot, Advanced Communication Section
Dinkler, Merle: 1st Cavalry Division
Dinkler, Scott: Persian Gulf Service Command: 18th Depot Repair Group
Downing, Joseph Wesley: 236th Engineer Combat Battalion, C Company
Dunkle, Lee: LST #863
Elliott, Howard: 3593rd Service Command Unit, 18th Battalion, Company A
Eycke, Thomas E.: 1st Cavalry, 24th Infantry, 77th Infantry, 234th Quartermaster Salvage Collection Company
Farmer, Maurice E.: 134th Field Artillery, Battery A
Fay, Howard: USS LST #221 and USS General George Randolph
Furniss, Sherman “Russell”:24th Infantry Division, 21st Infantry Regiment, HQ Company
Garrison, Don E.: 3204th Quartermaster Service Co
Garrison, Harold K.: 32nd Division, 120th Field Artillery Batt., HQ Battery
Garrison, Howard: 712th Engineer Depot Company
Garrison, Lewis: 8th Air Force, 466th Bomb Group, 787th Bomb Squadron
Garrison, Merton C.: 168th Field Artillery, Battery B and 41st Field Artillery
Garrison, Oscar A.: 82nd Airborne Division, 505th Parachute Inf Reg, 115th Field Artillery Batt., Battery C
Garrison, Richard M.: 8th Infantry Division, 121st Infantry Regiment, I Company
Garrison, Ward “Hoot”: USS Antietam (CV-36) Aircraft Carrier
Graham, Hoyt B. Jr.: Air Material Command
Graham, Solon L.: 5th Air Force, 380th Bomb Group, 528th Bomb Squadron
Hamman, Robert M.: 9th Armored Division, 73rd Armored Field Artillery, Battery A
Harmount, Donald J.: 35th Base Headquarters Unit
Harrington, Frank: 4th Fighter Group, 438th Air Service Group, 16th Repair Squadron
Hawkins, Lee: 6th Infantry Division, 51st Field Artillery Battalion, HQ Battery
Hawkins, Ralph A.: USS Stack (DD-406): Destroyer
Hawkins, Roy A.: 79th Inf Div., 310th F.A. Battalion, 463rd AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion
Haynes, Robert: USS New York (BB-34)
ListHicks, Forrest W.: 1st Coastal Artillery, Battery K
Hinton, Roy M.: VPB 25, Crew #14: Martin Mariner
Hoffman, Harold P.: 40th Inf. Div., 160th Infantry Reg., D Company
Holloway, Harry F.: 82nd Airborne, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, H Company, and 2nd Battalion HQ Company
Holloway, Roy N.: 80th Inf. Div., 317th Inf. Reg., C Company
Hughes, Merrill P.: 84th Infantry Division, 335th Infantry Regiment, Company D
Jobe, Charles M.: 82nd Airborne, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, 80th Airborne Artillery Battalion, Battery F
Jobe, Harmon: 542nd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment, Company A
Johnson, John “Franklin”: 1065th Signal Corps
Jordan, Harry: 7th Depot Unit, 15th Base HQ and Air Base Squadron
Jordan, John: USS Ranger (CV-4): Aircraft Carrier
Junk, Harry: 5th Army, 34th Depot Group, 738th QM, 2493rd QM Truck Co.
Junk, Ralph: 95th Inf Div, 379th Inf Reg, Co I
Kearns, Ben: 4th Armored Division, 51st Armored Infantry Batt, A Company
Kelly, Thomas R.: 8th Air Force, 34th Bomb Group, 7th Squadron
Kelly, Joseph G.: Bushmasters: 158th Infantry Regiment, Company H
Kirkwood, John F.: 7th Army / Attached Red Cross Unit
Kirkwood, John W.: USS Alcorn (AD-34) Destroyer Tender
Lowe, Edward: 93rd Infantry Division, 369th Infantry Regiment, Company D
Lowe, William: 27th Quartermaster Regiment, Co. A
Mace, Eugene W.: USS John R. Craig (DD-885): Destroyer
Mace, Franklin J.: 2766th Engineer Base Photo Company
Maddux, Don W.: 35th Infantry Division, 137th Infantry Reg., Company D
Mallow, Charles: 398th MP Battalion
Mallow, Gerbler Reed: 1st Cavalry, 7th Cavalry Regiment, Troop B
Marine, Roy M.: ROTC University of Indiana
Martin, Earl: LST #675
Martin, John E.: 90th Infantry Division, 358th Infantry Regiment, G CompanyHamul
Martin, Warren G. “Bud”: 8th Air Force, 301st AAF Base Unit, 704 Air Material Sq.
McCormick, Paul: 919 Signal Corps, 48th Repair Squad, 4121st AAF Base Unit
McDonald, Grant: USS Missouri
McPherson, Glenn Wendell: 204th Quartermaster Battalion
Merz, William T.: Americal Division, 245th Field Artillery Battalion, HQ Battery
Minnix, Clarence: Signal Corps, 68th Signal Battalion, Company C
Minnix, Clifford: 129th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion, Battery D
Minnix, Robert: 4th Medical Training Batt., Company B
Minser, Richard H. “JACK”: Army Transportation Corps: 6th Port Headquarters
Moomaw, Sarah: WAAC Training Center
Morris, Eugene D.: 1st Infantry Division, 745th Tank Battalion, Heavy Mortar Platoon & HQ Co
Morris, Jack C.: 8th Air Force, 392nd Bomb Group, 576th Bomb Squadron
Morris, Walter Jr.: USS Prairie (AD-15) and the USS New Jersey (BB-62) Battleship
Morrison, Albert Russell: Amphibious Training Center, Oahu, Hawaii
Overly, Dwight E.: Americal Div, 108th Regimental Combat Team, Co. I
Overly, Eugene: 474th Infantry Regiment, Company E
Overly, Marlin Jr.: 65th Signal Battalion, Company A
Pearce, Roy H.: 1st Infantry Division, 18th Infantry Regiment, F Company
Pearce, Thomas W.: 8th Air Force, 487th Bomb Group, 838th Bomb Squadron
Peck, John E.: 1333rd Army Air Force Base Unit: 13th Area
Penwell, Loren Galen: USS Jouett (DD- 396)
Pool, James: Received an early medical discharge
Pool, John W.: USS Texas (BB-35) Battleship
Prince, Willis L.: 15th Air Force, 465th Bomb Group, 782nd Bomb Squadron
Radcliff, Clarence: 436th Combat Military Police, I Company: 3860th Service Command Unit
Reisinger, Earl: USS Texas
Reisinger, James: 981st Field Artillery Battalion
Reisinger, Troy L: 186th Infantry Regiment, Service Company
Reisinger, Willard: 5th Fighter Group, 32nd Fighter Squadron
Richardson, Cecil E.: 3916th QM Gas Supply Company
Richardson, Ralph “Jack”: 11th QM Group, G Company: 96th QM Railhead Company
Rittenhouse, Fred: 777th Tank Battalion, Company A
Rittenhouse, Tom: USS Hamul (AD-20)
Rose, Leo: 142nd Medical Battalion, Company D, 1st Platoon: 310th General Hospital
Roseboom, John R.: 1st Cavalry Division, 760th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery C.
Satchell, Donald G.: 618th Engineer Base Equipment Company
Saxour, Samuel H.: 41st Station Hospital, 80th General Hospital
Saxour, Thomas: 174th Inf Div., 125th Infantry Reg, Co F
Shaffer, Forrest A.: 38th Infantry Division, 152nd Infantry Regiment, Company I
Sewards, Phillip J.: EC2 Thomas Eakins: Liberty Ship (Hull 2955)
Shanton, Richard O: 389th Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion, Battery A and D
Shull, Ephriam: 58th Ordnance Ammunition Company
Uss hamul reunion 2015Skinner, Cary “Scoop”: 41st Infantry Division, 116th Medical Battalion, 5th Squad, Troop B
Skinner, Forman: 95th Air Force
Smith, Carrie “Willard”: 90th Infantry Division, 358th Infantry Regiment, Company B
Smith, Russell E.: 12th Transport Squadron
Southward, Cecil: 693rd Engineer Equipment Company
Southward, Robert H.: USS Natoma Bay (CVE-62)
Sowers, Almer E.: 3745th Quartermaster Truck Company
Sowers, Thomas E.: 80th Infantry Division, 318th Infantry Regiment, Company A
Steinhauser, Charles H.: 80th Replacement Draft, Company A
Uss Hamul Crew ListStevens, Richard: 20th Field Artillery; attached to the 4th Infantry Division
Stevens, Robert Clark: 306th General Hospital
Stinson, Dusty: USS Antietam (CV-36)
Taylor, Willis W.: 2nd Engineer School Regiment, H Co.
Templin, John H.: Air Transport Command: 1504th Army Air Force Base Unit.
Templin, Morris H. “Jerry”: 4th Army Headquarters
Templin, Robert C.: Naval Sub Chaser
Templin, Wanda: Secretary of a unit in charge of training
Trapp, Norman A.: 8th Air Force, 351st Bomb Group, 508th Bomb Squadron
Tucker, Raymond Jr.: 20th Air Force, 414th Fighter Group, 437th Fighter Squadron
Watkins, Orville W.: USS Zenobia (AKA-52)
Watkins, Wayne Theodore: USS Zenobia
Whiting, Harold: United States Ship Decom. Depot
Whiting, Melvin: US Naval Hospital Bethesda, MD
Whitten, Walter E.: 95th Inf Div., 377th Inf. Reg., L Company
Wickensimer, Clark: 1244th Military Police Company
Williams, Charles: 4208th Quartermaster Service Co.
Williams, Daryl D.: 5th Air Force, 345th Bomb Group, 499th Bomb Squadron
Willis Paul W.: Persian Gulf Service Command: 18th Depot Repair Group
Willis, Albert: 369th Harbor Craft Company
Willis, Curtis: Quartermaster Corps
Willis, Dwight: Air Transport Command: 1337th Army Air Force Base Unit, Battery 6
Willis, Max E.: Stark General Hospital: 31st Medical Training Battalion, Company A
Willis, Nye: 3433rd Ordnance H.A.M. Company

Uss Hamul Crew List 1970

Wolford, Shelby E.: Admin. Command Service, Pacific

Uss Hamul Crew List 2017

Uss Hamul Ad 20 1958

Wright, Archie L.: 8th Infantry Division, 28th Infantry Regiment, Anti-Tank Company

Uss Hamul Reunion 2015

Uss Hamul Crew List 1968

Wright, John W.: 10th Air Force, 7th Bomb Group, 493rd Bomb Squadron